Pages

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Business Card Holder Tutorial

making a business card holder from fabricI am loving this business card holder. Probably because it is pink. And has ruffles.
Anyway, I made it for my mom for a Mother’s Day gift. She has a direct sales jewelry business and I decided she needed to carry her business cards in style.making a business card holder from fabric

Alternatively, if you have no business cards, it also holds gift or credit cards.IMG_5354
How can you make a cute little ruffled business card holder? Read on…
You will need:
two 4 1/2” x 5 1/2” pieces of fabric
two 2 1/2” x 4 1/2” pieces of fabric
one 10” x 1” jersey strip of fabric
one 4 1/2” x 5 1/2” piece of fusible medium weight interfacing
small elastic hair tie
one button
IMG_5333

Fuse the interfacing to the wrong side of the 4 1/2” x 5 1/2” piece of fabric that you want for the outside of the business card case. Then gather the strip of jersey fabric.
IMG_5334

Pin it to the right side of the fabric you’re using for the front of the case about 2” from the bottom. IMG_5335

Sew it into place. Remove the gathering stitches.
IMG_5336 

Take the two smaller pieces (2 1/2” x 4 1/2”) and turn them each under 1/4”. Press.
IMG_5337 

Turn them under another 1/4” to hide the raw edge and press again.
IMG_5338 

Hem the edge to keep it turned under.
IMG_5339

Position each of these pockets at the edges of the 4 1/2” x 5 1/2” piece of fabric you are using for the back of the pouch. Align the corners to the right side of the back fabric. Make sure that the hems you just made face toward each other.
  IMG_5340

Pin in place.
IMG_5341 
Sew around both pockets. Stay as close to the edge as possible.
IMG_5342

Next, sew on the button. My mom used to teach home ec, and she shared with me that the proper way to sew on a button is to wrap the thread around the button a few times (between the fabric and the button) so that the button isn’t too tight against the fabric.
IMG_5343
Don’t sew the button too close to the edge. I put it just below the ruffle.
IMG_5344 

Now it is time to assemble the whole business card holder. Place the elastic hair tie with the metal part toward the raw edge of the fabric. Place the hair tie on the opposite side of where the button will be. I laid mine out like this:
IMG_5347 

Flip the front piece onto the back piece with right sides together. Sew around the whole thing, leaving about a 3 1/2” opening at one end for turning.
IMG_5348 

Clip the corners. Now turn the whole thing right sides out.
IMG_5349

Use a sharp stick to push the corners out as crisply as possible.
IMG_5350
Press the whole thing, making sure to turn the raw edges under. Top stitch around the whole thing, making sure to close the raw edges.
IMG_5351
IMG_5352

Your lovely new ruffled business card holder is finished! Enjoy.
IMG_5353

21 comments:

  1. This is SUPER!! My sister is graduating college this weekend and is now a professional photographer...and this is DEFINETLY what she needs for her new cards! I better get to it! Thanks for sharing at Homemade By You!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute! I love ruffles too! I would love for you to link this up to "I Made This" at Grits & Giggles!! http://www.gritsandgiggles.blogspot.com/2012/05/i-made-this-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is adorable!! TFS!! I love the ruffle and fabric. I'm stopping by from HOH's linky party and a follower.

    Here is what I shared this week: http://craftybrooklynarmywife.blogspot.ca/2012/04/another-coat-for-holly.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute and unique, great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute!! I love the ruffles too! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a cute idea! Can't wait to try it! Found you through 36th Ave.

    I'd love for you to link up to my party: http://lovingthiscrazylife-melissa.blogspot.com/search/label/POC%20LINKY%20PARTY

    Hope you've had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is very cute, I love the ruffle! I'll be featuring this for one of my "crafty finds" Tuesday at 2pm EST at The Latest Find! Hope you had a good weekend! =)
    www.TheLatestFind.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my! Love, love!!! I would love for you to share on my blog, The CSI Project. The challenge this week is accessories. You can start linking up Wednesday night. And a great giveaway will be given out. You could win.

    www.thecsiproject.com
    Each week is a new challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this, a lot!! I want one :)

    If you have time, we would LOVE for you to stop in and link up this post and anything crafty in our Crafty Showcase. It runs from Sat-Thur and then we have a Feature Friday with the top pics!

    We also have a linky for ETSY/Crafty business items!

    Susie @Bowdabra
    http://bowdabrablog.com/2012/06/23/saturday-showcase-craft-projects-7/

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jen,

    SO CUTE!!! I love this project, the fabric, the ruffle and the tutorial!! Thanks for sharing it. I'm going to try make one :).

    I'm gald if you visit my blog

    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    Hugs from Portugal
    Ana Lopes

    ReplyDelete
  12. If it suits Metal business cards i would like to design it for..thanks you share it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! I love this card and thank u so much for sharing the tutorial with us... really did nice job..!

    designer mugs
    retro mugs
    photo mug
    funny coffee mugs
    funny mugs uk

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have provided a worth-full DIY for business card case and holder. This will be very helpful for me.
    Wholesale Business Card Case

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. If you are looking for a premier company that offers safe metal card production, then you should approach MCK Metal Credit Kards. We also offer Metal Credit Card Holder at great prices.

    Metal Credit Card Holder
    Custom Metal Debit Card
    Steel Credit Card Replica
    Custom Credit Card Design

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing nice information about business card holder with us. i glad to read this post.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I’ve been surfing online more than 3 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It is pretty worth enough for me. Personally, if all webmasters and as you did, the web will be a lot more useful than ever before. Best of luck for the next! Please visit my web site ntapz.com. Best Digital Business Cards Australia service provider.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this blog because the writer is so creative. I especially love the leather business card holder tutorial. This is a must-read blog for anyone who needs a creative business card holder. It is also a great blog for anyone who needs to make a gift and is looking for a creative project!

    ReplyDelete

Spelling or grammar will not be criticized, so there's no reason not to leave me a comment!