Pages

Saturday, May 10, 2014

First Serger Project: Pink Spring Top!

Someone from my church let me borrow her serger. The next day, another woman from church said I could purchase hers (cheap)!

So I’m enjoying a renewed interest in sewing right now.

2014-05-09 07.13.39



I’m entering this top in a contest over at Made By Rae. The contest ends tomorrow, so I was kind of in a hurry to take pictures of it. So my hair was dirty and I was wearing no makeup. But let’s face it, that’s normal for me.
 2014-05-09 07.13.24

I was so excited about the serger that I left the edges unhemmed on this shirt. I’m undecided if I should hem the sleeves or not. I added a few butterflies at the bottom with freezer paper stenciling.
The pattern fit is perfect (I made a size medium of this free pattern but cut the XS neckline so it is higher) and the fabric is a jersey from Robert Kaufman Laguna (?) solids. I love this fabric and I might buy some more to make more tops in more colors. Do I really need more clothing? Well, now that I can serge the edges, MAYBE.

Seriously, I can’t believe I made something that fit so well. I think I might make the large size next time so it isn’t quite so tight. But it is great that the neckline isn’t super low like so many shirts (Target. Please make your necklines more modest.)

In hindsight, I should’ve cut the XS neckband, too, to match the XS neckline. It’s a little loose in the front. The shirt was SO fast to make and sew with the serger.

If you follow on Facebook, you’ll see a sneak peek of something I made for one of my boys.

1 comment:

  1. What a terrific shirt! I am so proud of you! I love the little butterflies you added... The perfect finishing touch.... :)
    hugs x, Crystelle
    Crystelle Boutique

    ReplyDelete

Spelling or grammar will not be criticized, so there's no reason not to leave me a comment!