So far, the chair looks good from the front.
But the back is not finished.
Finishing things up proved to be the most challenging part so far.
The first challenge was that I was using a manual staple gun and not getting the staples all the way into the wood. I debated buying a 'real' upholstery staple gun (pneumatic or electric) but that would cost $150+ dollars. Not very frugal!
So I put off finishing the chair for about 5 months!
My dad suggested trying to hammer in tacks to the wood. I tried that and it worked well! It took forever, but it was worth saving money.
The first thing I hammered in was the trim for the back.
The next thing I used was ply-grip. Here's a great how-to video about ply-grip. Ply-grip is the metal stuff at the edge that allows you to finish an upholstery project without any staples showing and with all raw edges tucked in.
You need ply-grip on three sides. On the fourth side, you can tack (or staple) the fabric down.
This is how you'd tack it down:
Then the opposite side should get tucked into the ply-grip. I waited until the very end to use the mallet to bump it into place (see the video, I can't quite get the point across in pictures).
This is what the back looks like after pulling all four sides tight under the ply-grip:
Closer view of the back:
This is the bottom. I used the same technique to attach the solid navy fabric to the bottom. However, I did have to fold it a bit around the legs of the chair so it isn't as tight.