Pages

Friday, August 30, 2013

Summer Panzanella Bread Salad

Do you have lots of tomatoes? I actually don’t, the deer ate them, but the few I do have I used in this delicious salad. I’ve never made a bread salad before, but I recommend it. (Since writing this post, someone generously gave me a LOT of tomatoes to make spaghetti sauce!) 

panzanella salad 1

3 Diced Fresh Tomatoes
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
1 small onion
1 cup corn (I cut mine off of the cob)
3 cups cubed bread
1/2 t salt
2 T olive oil
2 T lime or lemon juice
1 garlic clove
1/4 t pepper
1/2 t sugar
Mix together the tomatoes, basil, onion, corn and bread in a large bowl. Combine oil, lemon juice, garlic, pepper, salt and sugar in a small bowl and stir. Pour over salad. Mix and refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
I used homemade bread. I’ve had a few loaves turn out in a less than desirable shape, so I’ve cut them into cubes and frozen them. Sometimes the ends of the homemade bread get a little crusty, so I put them in a freezer bag and save them for a recipe like this. I cut the ends into cubes after they’re thawed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spelling or grammar will not be criticized, so there's no reason not to leave me a comment!