1. Don't buy anything for a week. Write down what you think you want and look at it a week or a month later. This helps you truly evaluate if you really need/want something.
2. Don't be afraid to tell a friend you can't go do something. "It's not in the budget."
3. Commit to eating all your meals at home for a month. (Reduces food spending.)
4. Use saran wrap or storage containers (which you likely already own) instead of using zipper seal bags. We've found this saves a lot, especially if you're used to the premium brand bags.
5. Write down everything on which you spend money. Carry a notebook in your purse. At the end of the week, evaluate how well you did budget-wise.
6. Use the library. Don't buy books or DVDs. Don't rent DVDs.
7. When you do make purchases, use cash. For example, take out your monthly grocery allotment and put it in an envelope. Helps you visualize how much money you actually have to spend.
8. Drink water. Skip juice, soda and coffee.
9. Use willpower.
10. Line dry clothing when possible.
11. DIY...or at least research if you can DIY.