But then I found bran cereal at Trader Joe's last month with NO HFCS!! Yippie!
My husband is running a marathon next weekend, so he needs to carbo load. He requested that I make these muffins to help him with the carbo loading (also defined as 'eating as much as possible' by one of my Exercise Physiology professors in grad school...real technical, right?)
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups bran cereal (like Kellog's All-Bran)
- 1 1/4 cups fat-free milk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (I always use a little less)
- 1/2 cup raisins
Directions1. Place raisins in a bowl. Cover with boiling water.
2. Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. In large mixing bowl, combine the bran cereal and milk. Let stand about 2 minutes or until cereal softens. Add egg and oil. Beat well. Add flour mixture, stirring only until combined. Drain the raisins, fold them into the batter. Portion evenly into twelve 2 1/2-inch muffin pan cups coated with cooking spray.
3. Bake at 400° F about 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.