Pages

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Ragged Edge Baby Blanket



I really like to sew baby things. They're small, so they don't take lots of time or fabric. A friend of mine made one of these blankets for our little guy. I liked this idea because it doesn't have to be 'perfect'. The cuts don't have to be measured. I just eyed them up. I used "snuggle flannel" from Jo-Ann fabric. I got it for about $2/yard when it was on sale a few weeks ago. I just love that stuff...so perfect for babies!

What you'll need:
-2 yards of contrasting flannel fabric
-thread
-sewing machine
-scissors.

Line up your fabric and cut to make each piece even. Make sure it is [relatively] square.


Pin the fabric layers together, wrong sides together.


Stitch around the perimeter. I stitched 7/8" in from the side. Your machine probably has lines etched into it to show how far you are from the edge. When stitching around the perimeter of the blanket, make a square corner. (Pick up your machine's presser foot and turn the fabric 90 degrees.)



You're going to make a square cut at ever corner. Cut just to the stitching; not into the stitching!

Start cutting the edges. Make sure you do not cut through the stitching! Just make the cuts evenly spaced. I wouldn't bother measuring. Just eye it up.

After you get all the edges cut:


You're done! Put it through a few wash/dry cycles and the edges will look nice and ragged! The flannel will feel softer, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spelling or grammar will not be criticized, so there's no reason not to leave me a comment!