Pages

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Gifts for Men: Bike or Car Storage Bag with French Seams

My brother’s birthday was last weekend. I wanted to make him something special and was sort of at a loss. I decided to make a car tote. He can attach it to one of the headrests in his car. I don’t know what he can put into it…maybe cans of tennis balls? His lunch? Anything he doesn’t want to roll all around the back of the car, I guess. bike or car tote with french seams and freezer paper stencil of bike (5)

But anyway, as I was forming the idea for the project in my head, I was observing how my Land’s End tote bag is constructed. (No, they are not paying me. I just really like their merchandise. And did you see this bag I pinned on Pinterest? I might have to knock that one off using the technique I’m about to mention.)
bike or car tote with french seams and freezer paper stencil of bike (1)
Anyway, I observed from the Land’s End bag that it is not lined. Yet there are no raw edges showing. I determined that they hid the raw edges inside the seam somehow.
bike or car tote with french seams and freezer paper stencil of bike (2)
That ‘somehow’ is called a French Seam. So I made this bag as practice French Seam project. I even did gussets in the bottom.

  bike or car tote with french seams and freezer paper stencil of bike (3)

I used an old t-shirt for the binding plus did a little freezer paper bike on the front.
My experimental technique worked out well. I’ll be sharing a how-to for another bag soon. But that will have to wait til another day.
bike or car tote with french seams and freezer paper stencil of bike (4)

4 comments:

  1. Really cute! I love the bike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is adorable! and so useful! : ) I would love for you to stop by and share at my party!

    http://www.cherishedbliss.com/2012/05/craft-and-tell.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect for guys! I'd love for you to add it on my link party at: http://printabelle.com/?p=3717 Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an intresting blog that you have posted, you shares a lot of things about You have shared a great information about Car storage Southampton, Winter Car Storage southampton.Which are very informative for us.Thanks.Which are very informative for us.Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Spelling or grammar will not be criticized, so there's no reason not to leave me a comment!