Pages

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Sewing for Baby: Bibs with Handmade Bias Tape

bibs bias tape

Making a bib for a baby is nothing new. Nothing exciting. But hand-me-down bibs do get stained. And when they start to look as stained as the ones our new baby would have to wear, it never hurts to have a few new ones.


bibs with bias tape (22)

To make the pattern for this bib, (and the other bibs I’ve made here, here and here) I traced one of our existing bibs. And then I added some extra fabric to the bottom and sides. Because bibs never cover everything. So these are serious eating-sized bibs.

bibs with bias tape (4)

And snaps are totally the way to go on bibs. I love snaps. They are so easy to apply and they hold up way better than hook-and-loop closures.

bibs (7)

And I made the fronts of each of the bibs unique. One is a cute little turtle applique (machine applique tips found here), suitable for a boy or girl. The other two…they’re kind of girly, so if our little stowaway turns out to be another boy, they’ll be gifted…I will admit, it will be hard to part with the bike bib with freezer paper stenciling (click here for the tutorial).

bibs with bias tape (10)

Anyway, it was a good excuse to use some handmade bias tape I’d stashed away awhile back. It was difficult to attach the bias tape. I tried to use my binding foot but I think the curves were too hard to do with the foot. (Does anyone else have that problem? Any solutions?)
Anyway, these bibs took forever because of the binding. But they turned out nicely. And the fabric backs are all upcycled (from a pair of my husband’s khaki pants!) and the front of the bike bib is from an old t-shirt.

I love upcycling.


Places I have linked:
Or So She SaysTrain to CrazyTater tots & Jello Merry Messy Life, Sugar Bee CraftsReasons to Skip the Housework,  The 36th Avenue, House of HepworthsSomeday CraftsSouthern Lovely504 Main,Serenity Now,  Fingerprints on the FridgeI heart NapTime, Classy ClutterA Glimpse Inside, Somewhat SimpleGingerly MadeSerenity NowToday's Creative BlogThe Winthrop ChroniclesHome Stories A to ZCraftyScrappyHappy

6 comments:

  1. These are awesome! I love that you used old khakis for the backing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! Stopping by and following you from Catch a Glimpse Thursday :)

    http://ohsewcraftylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are adorable! I thought about making some bibs as well for my daughter when she was a baby, but thinking about sewing on all that bias tape kept me from it :) Props to you for all that work!
    Heidi @ handmadefrenzy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish there was an easier way to sew binding like that...I haven't figured it out.

      Delete

Spelling or grammar will not be criticized, so there's no reason not to leave me a comment!