Pages

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Aztec Hoodie Vest: Pattern Testing for See Kate Sew

I’m sure you’ve heard of the blog See Kate Sew. A few weeks ago, I was so excited when she asked me to test her new pattern for the Aztec Hoodie Vest!

So I got to make my littlest cutie pie a hoodie! It’s got pockets (I’ve never made anything with pockets before!!!), an oversize hood, a zipper and is fully lined.

may 2 (7)


Since the hoodie is lined, I didn’t need a serger to finish any raw edges. I don’t have a serger. And sometimes I decide not to make various clothing items I’d like to make because I don’t know how to handle the raw edges.

may 2 (10)

I almost chickened out and didn’t add the pockets. They seemed too hard. But honestly, they were easy. (They’re called open welt pockets. I was not familiar with that term or that type of pocket.)

may 2 (11)

And really, boys love pockets. So how could I not add them?

may 2 (15)

This pattern was really fun to sew. I will admit that I had some trouble getting the zipper correctly sewn into the hoodie. Which was not the fault of the pattern. I learned a lot about zipper placement after ripping out the zipper four times. And ripping out the lining once. Oh, and I cut the hood out incorrectly the first time.  But again, those were all my own screw ups. 

 may 2 (16)

And, another exciting fact about the fabric for this vest. I had purchased this green ribbed fabric with plans to make my boys OU (Ohio University) shirts. Similar to this green and white hooded shirt I made our oldest two years ago. However, that hasn’t trasnpired yet. And so I used the green fabric to try and make myself a dress. Which failed.

So the fabric was in the closet. And so I *hoped* there would be enough for this cute little hooded vest. And there was. Yay! I love recycling fabric.

I’m probably going to make a bigger version for my oldest (he turned four last week!) I might make it a little slimmer through the body. He’s very tall and slim.

It’ll be a different color, though. I’m out of green. And I’m a little tired of it.

So go check out Kate’s Aztec Hoodie Pattern!


Places I have linked:
Or So She SaysTrain to CrazyTater tots & Jello Merry Messy Life, Sugar Bee CraftsReasons to Skip the Housework,  The 36th Avenue, House of HepworthsSomeday CraftsSouthern Lovely504 Main,Serenity Now,  Fingerprints on the FridgeI heart NapTime, Classy ClutterA Glimpse Inside, Somewhat SimpleGingerly MadeSerenity NowToday's Creative BlogThe Winthrop ChroniclesHome Stories A to ZCraftyScrappyHappy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spelling or grammar will not be criticized, so there's no reason not to leave me a comment!