Pages

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Maternity Tank with Banded Bottom

maternity tank with banded bottom.

This maternity tank is very similar to this striped tank I made last year. I wore that striped shirt a LOT. And I would wear it a lot this summer, too…but I’m 6.5 months pregnant.


(Here's last year's non-maternity version.)

upcycled bow t-shirt (33)

So this summer, I needed a slightly longer, larger version of this tank top. To make it, I traced the front and back of one of my maternity tanks. I made the neckline a little higher. To sew it together, I sewed the front and back together at the shoulders and then stitched up the sides.

Then came the binding. I used a rib knit for everything on the shirt and so I cut the binding for the neck and arms slightly smaller than the openings. After sewing that on (several times! lots of seam ripping!) I had to decide how to finish the bottom. Since the tank is rib knit, when I hemmed it, it stretched out terribly. So I ended up adding a banded bottom, which I like. I gathered the middle a bit before sewing on the band for a ruched effect.

I did use a different method to attach the binding then I used in the striped tank. I'll have to share pictures of how to do that in another post.

maternity shirt with flowers and bottom band ruching (1.)

Plain green wasn’t very pretty, so I added a few fabric flowers. Similar to what I added to my tank from last year.

  pink fabric flowers

Here’s a shot of the gathering at the bottom of the tank.
ruched banded bottom

It’s always nice to have another maternity shirt to wear.
  maternity shirt with flowers and bottom band ruching (5)

I found that making my own tank top was very time-consuming; this was mostly because of the binding and (if you've read my blog) my problems applying binding. I find it hard to believe they can sell clothing at such low prices. I suppose if I made things all the time, used ready-made patterns instead of tracing my existing clothing, and had a serger, it would be easier and faster to make my own garments.

maternity shirt with banded bottom
I guess I like to do things the hard way!


Places I have linked:
Or So She SaysTrain to CrazyTater tots & Jello Merry Messy Life, Sugar Bee CraftsReasons to Skip the Housework,  The 36th Avenue, House of HepworthsSomeday CraftsSouthern Lovely504 Main,Serenity Now,  Fingerprints on the FridgeI heart NapTime, Classy ClutterA Glimpse Inside, Somewhat SimpleGingerly MadeSerenity NowToday's Creative BlogThe Winthrop ChroniclesHome Stories A to ZCraftyScrappyHappy

1 comment:

  1. How cute! I'm preggo, too, and love this top you made. I have a moo-moo style shirt someone passed onto me and I've wanted to do something to the bottom so that it isn't so flowy.

    ReplyDelete

Spelling or grammar will not be criticized, so there's no reason not to leave me a comment!