Pages

Monday, December 13, 2010

Baby Shoe Tutorial

I went a little crazy making baby shoes this past weekend. I had a baby shower to go to, so I wanted to make something cute. And then, they were just so easy to make, I cut out a whole bunch. (11 pairs, to be exact!) Here is how I made them. I used this pattern but adapted the steps here and there.

To start, you'll need to cut all your pattern pieces out. You won't need much of any one fabric so this is a great way to use up scraps! I used parts of old denim jeans for the soles of the shoes.
First, sew the toe lining and outer piece right sides together along the curve. Turn right sides out and press.
Meanwhile, no picture for this step, but sew the casing together at the edges leaving a 1/4" hole at the TOP of the casing for the elastic.

Take the sole lining and put it wrong sides together with the sole bottom. Pin the toe pieces to the sole bottom with right sides together. (Further explanation: you'll be turning the shoe and want the sole on the bottom to be right side out.)Pin the casing to the back of the shoe. Make sure the elastic hole in the casing is right side up.
Also, check that the casing ends INSIDE of the toe. You don't want the raw edge showing after you turn the shoe.
Sew the seam all around the shoe. Turn it. Now add the elastic through the casing and secure with some hand stitching.
Push the stitching through the casing so it isn't showing.

Last, sew the ends of the casing together. Secure to the top of the shoe with a few neat stitches (these will show). All done! Some lucky baby will have pretty feet!I also adapted this pattern to make bigger slippers for my 18-month old. I just traced around his shoes for the bottom and then just cut the top and back pieces to fit!

11 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for taking the time to share this. Can't wait to make a pair for my 2 month old grand-daughter. And my 2 1/2 year old one too. They are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are so addictive to make! I've made bunches of pairs. Here is a link showing a few other pairs I made: http://monkeyseemonkeydo-jennifer.blogspot.com/2011/07/more-baby-shoes.html

      Delete
  2. The link to the pattern does not work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads-up! I think her site changed, I went back and found the link on her new site.

      Fixed! https://creative.adobe.com/file/5696ad06-bdcd-4248-930f-92cd2dfc842d

      Delete
  3. Found the pattern to print, look under project gallery at top of page, then scroll down to the toddler slipper, should be on the left side of the page of pictures and you can print the pattern but you will have to adapt for smaller size..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried to download the pattern, but it was unavailable!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's the link again: https://creative.adobe.com/file/5696ad06-bdcd-4248-930f-92cd2dfc842d

      Delete
  5. I really want to make the shoes, however the link you provided on Oct. 29 doesn't allow you to download the PDF. There may be a problem with the host website. Anyway you are able to post the 11 page PDF to your website?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could not download this pattern. The toddler pattern downloads easily.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely wonderful job! I would have bought one in a second, though. Thank you so much for taking the time to share this. I can't wait to make a pair of baby shoes for my 2-month-old daughter. So cute!

    ReplyDelete

Spelling or grammar will not be criticized, so there's no reason not to leave me a comment!