Pages

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Car-Theme Birthday Party

I wanted to share the simple decorations I made for my son's second birthday party. I made all of them myself this past week from materials I had around the house.
(I did buy a few things, but didn't spend more than a few dollars).
I used a car silhouette I enhanced with some windows in varied sizes for all the car shapes.

Here's the big picture:


Here's a little tour of the individual things I made.

I made two banners:

This banner was made from felt scraps and ribbon scraps. I cut out all the cars and just hot glued the windows onto them and then hot glued them to the ribbons.

These cars were made from scrapbook paper. I punched two holes in each car and strung them onto ribbon. (Fun fact: the ribbon was left over from my baby shower 2+ years ago! My aunt gave me the extra for my craft stash!)

These were little favors I made with his 2-year picture. I just took clothes pins and used a glue stick to attach strips of scrapbook paper to the fronts, then cut out more paper cars and hot glued them to the front! Then I put magnets on the back.

They stand up.

This is the centerpiece for the table. I used BBQ skewers to suspend the cars, which are double-sided and hot glued to the skewers. Then I poked the skewers into Styrofoam and covered the Styrofoam with blue shredded paper.

This is the side table's focal point/centerpiece. I just used a cheapo sand pail to set Styrofoam in and used more BBQ skewers to suspend more cars.

The only materials I bought were the BBQ skewers and the blue shredded paper. Everything else I found lying around. I'm not usually a big decorator for any holiday or event, but I got on a roll for this birthday! It was a lot of fun; I think sticking with two main colors and the same basic shape helped pull everything together.

My husband and my son's birthdays are two days apart (separated by a 28-year span!) and this year was just small party for both of them. The only thing that wasn't small were the desserts...I made a lemonade layer cake and a strawberry rhubarb pie!

It was a busy week and I didn't do a stitch of sewing.

2 comments:

  1. Genius! Thank you for sharing your ideas! I can wait to try this for my son's birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!! Thanks for sharing!! I am planning a car baby shower. What did you use to trace the car cut outs?

    ReplyDelete

Spelling or grammar will not be criticized, so there's no reason not to leave me a comment!