I used the pattern from Made By Rae to make these pants. I did add a ruffle to the bottom of the girly version I made. I did not hem any of them...I used old t-shirts and was going to hem the boy version, but I was afraid they'd be too short!
(We have babies with long legs around here!) Since they're t-shirts, they won't fray.
For the boy version, I did two small fabric stamps on other t-shirt scraps and sewed them onto the pants like patches.
Here is the back:
To start the pants, I cut two pieces of the pattern just like it says. I also cut a few 1" strips of fabric for the ruffles.
I sewed the intended ruffle strips together at the ends, pressed them flat, and then gathered them (using the lowest tension on the machine and the longest running stitch length.)
Then, I attached the gathered strip (sewing right sides together) to the bottom of the pant leg. (Note, it is the shorter inseam of the two. I did it incorrectly the first time and had to remove it!)
After attaching the ruffle, I pressed it on the right side of the pants to make it flat. Then I just followed the rest of the tutorial and sewed the front and back seams.
I finished up by sewing around both legs. I clipped the seams to remove excess fabric.
I followed the pattern to fold the waist over twice and then added 13.5" of elastic. I pressed them to crisp up the seams. The flower was made using the same tutorial I posted here.
My pictures are lit terribly because I took them all at night! Please excuse the lighting problem!