Pages

Friday, January 4, 2013

Before & After: Kitchen Backsplash



















My husband is fantastic. Three days before Christmas, he told me that my Christmas gift from him was going to be him installing a backsplash for our kitchen. (And that I would get to help!)  I’d mentioned a few months ago that I thought we should put one in someday. And he remembered! 
backsplash before & after


Our kitchen is pretty big. Which is normally a good thing. And it only took us a day to install the tile. With both our boys running around underfoot.
kitchen backsplash coffee cornerkitchen backsplash1

This is by no means a tutorial for doing your own backsplash, but just a collection of ideas that we used and are happy with.

Rent a wet saw. It saws in a pool of water. It cuts down on dust. We used it in the garage.
wet saw for tile
We didn’t need to cut and hang backer board, just mortar. tiling a backsplash with wall tile (2)

This is how we handled the corner. The wet saw (which we rented) to cut the tile doesn’t allow mitering at corners.
kitchen backsplash corner

We found that the mortar wiped off of the countertop and other surfaces easily, so we didn’t need to mask very carefully.


We traced around the switch plates before removing them so we’d know how large of an opening to leave.
tile around switchplates

We had to use some shims behind the stove to keep the tiles in place as the mortar dried. shim behind stove
We sealed it with two coats of clear sealant. We also trimmed out the top near the window with some extra trim.

It gives the kitchen a whole new look. If you’re considering doing a backsplash in your kitchen, go for it.
  kitchen backsplash1

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful tile. Looks fantastic with your natural wood cabinets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My husband picked it out (he brought three options to show me) and figured I"d like it the best.

      Delete
  2. Wow, what a difference a backsplash makes! It looks lush! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. It looks great. Hubs did a great job!!

    We still need to update our kitchen...blah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. GORGEOUS!!! I asked for a back splash for Christmas. Didn't get it!! Pinned to motivate my hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! It looks so much different than before and really changes the look of your kitchen! Great job:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love! I have been wanting to do a backsplash in my kitchen. I'd love it if you stopped by my weekly link party and shared this. http://thelifeofjenniferdawn.blogspot.com/2013/01/a-little-bird-told-me-link-party-24.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks great! for my birthday a few years ago, my boyfriend painted our bedroom. i didn't want to do it, he wasn't motivated to it, there was nothing i wanted for my bday...boom, instant present. well, not so instant, but you know what i mean. enjoy your kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks awesome! Thanks for linking up at Classy Clutter! I'm featuring you tonight!

    Mallory @ Classy Clutter

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks beautiful! And I WILL use this as a tutorial - thanks so much for sharing!!!
    I'm now following you ( would love a follow back when you have the time )
    Hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the look of the stone tiles, I would never have thought to use those tiles on the backsplash (everyone uses them for their fireplaces). Goes to show that being creative can pay off.

    ReplyDelete
  11. what is the name of the backsplash?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love! I have been needing to do a backsplash in my kitchen. I'd love it in the event that you halted by my week after week join party and shared this.

    ReplyDelete

Spelling or grammar will not be criticized, so there's no reason not to leave me a comment!