Pages

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Knit Argyle Shirt




Continuing with working through my refashioning pile (see Monday’s post for info on that--items needing an update are falling out of my linen closet on me), I took a stained green shirt and added some embellishment that is boy-worthy.


I’ve seen a few DIY argyle clothing items for boys. This one (from Melly Sews) and this one (from Ashley at Make it and Love It) were specifics that came to mind when I sewed this quick project onto a hand-me-down green shirt that was the victim of some staining.

But nothing a few diamonds couldn’t cover.


I didn't bother to use a pattern for the diamonds so they turned out looking more like kites. Also, the first set of stitches didn't result in an argyle pattern. I should have reviewed my inspiration pieces and noted that argyle lines go the whole way through the center of the diamonds. Oh well.

I still like it. And my three-year-old, who was the original owner of the shirt, also likes it. I might have to make one for him b/c he is a bit jealous his younger brother will be wearing this green one.

The original shirt. With stains.
 

I cut nine diamonds (or kite shapes) and placed them on the shirt, making sure my placement covered the stains.
 

I carefully pinned them on.


Then I stitched around each diamond twice.

I did a chevron pattern at first.
 

Then I realized that it wasn't exactly argyle. Nor was it perfectly even. (How would you mark fabric to do this more evenly?)


Then I went back and sewed more lines that actually cross!



Other refashions I have done:



30 Minute Skirt Tutorial




Tank Top from Scraps




Refashioning with Shirring




Upcycled Striped Tank





Refashioning Pants into Maternity Shorts, Part 1




Refashioning Pants into Maternity Shorts, Part 2




Maternity Skirt Refashioned from Men's Pants




Maternity Capris Refashioned from Pants





Banded Bottom Shirt Refashion


Ruched Side Shirt with Flowers


Button Sleeve Shirt

5 comments:

  1. What a simple but effective way of recycling a top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clever way to extend the life of a shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! I like the colors you chose a lot. Another great upcycling project! Thanks for sharing at Hookin On Hump Day!

    ReplyDelete

Spelling or grammar will not be criticized, so there's no reason not to leave me a comment!