Pages

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Maternity Skirt from Men's Pants

Obviously, I'm on a maternity clothing kick. I took a pair of men's pants and used the same tutorial I did here to make this skirt.

This is the finished maternity skirt:

An interesting source for fabric...a pair of men's pants. Inexpensive men's pants, straight from Old Navy's clearance section. I was there to look for inexpensive knits to repurpose into a skirt for me...but I came home with these. They weren't even $0.47, as the sticker says. They were half off, so only $0.23!!

They were a pair of very large men's pants. (I didn't know about men's sizing until I got married, but 48" is the waist size. 30" is the inseam.) My tall, slim, yet muscular husband wears a 34" x 34" to put the size of these 48" x 30" pants into perspective for you.

I cut off the bottom part of the legs. The goal is to use the pant's hem for the hem of the skirt. I made sure to cut enough off so the skirt would be long enough for me plus an extra inch for seam allowance. Then I cut the legs in half and cut off one of the side seams.
After that, I made the waistband the same way I made the waistband for the flat-front yoga skirt here. That means I had to stretch it to fit the skirt's waist as I didn't want to gather the skirt (for more of a pencil-shaped look). You could really use any fabric source for the skirt and then use a nice, stretchy jersey for the waistband!

3 comments:

  1. thanks! hope you can try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hosting a Maternity/Nursing/Postpartum competition on my site - www.ajennuinelife.blogspot.com called Mother to Be, Being, Been. I'd love it if you entered this project!

    ReplyDelete

Spelling or grammar will not be criticized, so there's no reason not to leave me a comment!