Pages

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Last-Minute Felt Wreath Tutorial

IMG_3562 This past weekend, I thought my single wreath looked lonely. So I made two more wreaths to hang on the mirror.

I am so excited about these two wreaths! They were really easy to make and fairly inexpensive. Looking at them makes me happy!

IMG_3557 If you would like to make one, keep in mind they can be any color and any size. Mine were pretty small (dinner plate size) and required about 1/2 yard of red felt per wreath.

You’ll also need your hot glue gun, a cardboard box, large needle and some embroidery floss (the same color as the felt you’re using for the wreath).

I needed a base to attach the felt. It was 8 pm on a Saturday evening, so I couldn’t run to a craft store. We had some boxes in the garage, so I just took a dinner plate and used it to cut around. IMG_3544 IMG_3545

Then I used a smaller plate to cut out the middle. You’ll want the wreath form to be skinnier than the felt squares you’ll be using. It doesn’t have to be perfectly cut. You’ll be covering it up. IMG_3546

To cover it, I just took some felt strips (doesn’t really matter how wide) and hot glued them to the cardboard circle outline.

IMG_3547

When you run out of length on one strip, hot glue the end and start wrapping with another strip.IMG_3548

Next, start cutting some squares from your felt. Precision cutting is unnecessary. The size of the squares just need to be in the same ballpark. They can be rectangles, too. Make sure you save a strip of felt to use as a hanger for the wreath. (You could also use ribbon.)

Take some embroidery floss and a large needle and tie a knot in the end. String the squares onto the floss and push them against the knot. Keep stringing squares until you have enough to go around the diameter of the wreath.


Here’s the wreath. I didn’t completely fill it with squares, as you can tell. (I covered the empty part with the strip to hang the wreath.)

IMG_3554

I took no pictures of the last step, but in order to attach the string of squares to the felt-covered cardboard base, I used more embroidery floss to wrap around the base and in between the squares. I wrapped once around every inch or so. I tied it off tightly using the needle to take a few stitches into the felt to make it super-secure.

Here’s two wreaths…

IMG_3555


And all three! I am so happy with how they turned out. I love that they’re not all perfectly the same. The texture of these wreaths add a lot to my Christmas decor!

IMG_3561

Here’s a close-up of the middle wreath.

IMG_3559

I can’t wait to make some more non-Christmas wreaths for around my house!

Merry Christmas and happy decorating!

2 comments:

  1. very festive! would love for you to come over and link up to my holiday wreath party! http://nap-timecreations.blogspot.com/2011/12/joyful-jars-and-wreaths.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. super cute idea I'd love you to add this to my What We Wore and Made link party over at http://raegunwear.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Spelling or grammar will not be criticized, so there's no reason not to leave me a comment!