Tuesday, October 26, 2010

High Chair Cover

This project seemed really hard when I saw the tutorial on another blog awhile back. However, I decided to give it a try because the high chair cover our son uses at my parents' house is a little, well, awful.

I got some upholstery fabric on ebay. I have a ton of it so I decided to try this project using a bit of it. This is the finished product:
This is what the old stuff looked like (it's vinyl, which is more practical than what I used):Here's how I did the new cover.

1. I made a pattern out of a paper bag by tracing the vinyl cover.
2. I cut out a piece of the upholstery fabric and a piece of quilted batting stuff for a cushier layer. I did not cut extra for a seam allowance since I used a binding to finish the edges.

Here's a view of the cushier layer:3. I cut a half-moon shape for the back. The original design was held on by a back pocket flap. 4. I used some binding to finish off the back flap. 5. I laid the back flap in place and pinned. Then I went to the store to buy some more binding!6. I am not exactly sure of the 'right' way to apply bias binding. But I used double fold binding and, after using what felt like 200 pins, sewed it on the front first. Hint: Remove your pins before you sew over them. I have most of mine bent from prior times I've just sewn on over them.
7. Then I folded the binding over the old stitches and sewed it again. This covered my old stitches so there was only one set showing on the top of the binding.
8. I added little elastic feet to hold the 'leg' parts to the high chair. (The high chair has plastic hooks underneath the seat for these elastic feet to grab onto). Done! All ready for my little guy when he wakes up from his nap.

1 comment:

  1. This is perfect. Our high chair cover is looking pretty yucky these days, no matter how many times I wash it. I'm a new follower from Seven Thirty Three's link party. Thanks for the tutorial.


Spelling or grammar will not be criticized, so there's no reason not to leave me a comment!