Pages

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Best Muffin Recipe

There were blueberries on sale for $1/pint today at my favorite grocery store. I just had to make muffins...here is my favorite recipe with some added instruction.

Best Blueberry Muffins*

2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder1 teaspoon salt
6 T butter, cold
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg
1 cup blueberries

1. To make your buttermilk (my grandmother taught me this!) you place 1 tablespoon of vinegar in a measuring cup. Fill the rest of the 1-cup measurement with milk. I even used non-fat dry milk to make these muffins and it turned out well. Stir; let the milk and vinegar sit for about 5 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Stir to combine.

3. Take the butter and cut it into small pieces. Then use a pastry blender or two knifes to chop it up and make small crumbs. My grandmother taught me that, too. Many pastries are made this way. This is what a pastry blender looks like in case you weren't sure you had one! See the crumbs?
4. Add the buttermilk (if you made your own with vinegar and milk it is actually considered "sour milk") and after beating the egg, add it, too.

Now this is another key instruction. My mother, who used to teach the cooking part of home ec, says not to overmix muffins. Over mixing can cause toughness. Just mix the ingredients together until combined.

5. Fold in the blueberries. I'd need to put a video up to demonstrate the proper folding technique, but I'm pretty sure it means 'mix gently so you don't smash the blueberries to smithereens'.

6. Bake in greased tins or paper-lined tins for 23-25 minutes at 400 degrees. Remove from tins and cool on a wire rack.

*I got this muffin recipe from a friend. I think she got it online somewhere. I love the fact that it contains butter instead of oil. I like to bake with butter as I think it tastes better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spelling or grammar will not be criticized, so there's no reason not to leave me a comment!